This is one amazing rice dish. It did take me some practice to get it right, but it's worth it!
Rated 3.8 stars by 23 users, click here to rate this recipe.
1 hour 5 minutes
This is one tasty rice dish! It did take me some practice to get it right, but it's worth it!
- 3 cups basmati rice
- small pinch saffron
- 50g butter
- 4 tbsp olive oil
Start by soaking the rice in cold water for 30 minutes, then rinse the rice well.
- Place a large pot of salted water on to boil. Once it’s boiling, cook the rice for 4-5 minutes or until it's just over halfway cooked.
- Remove the rice and run it under cold water to stop the cooking.
- Grind the saffron in and add 2 tablespoons of boiling water.
- In a clean pot you have a lid for (non-stick works best), heat the oil over medium heat and add the rice. When half of the rice is in the pot pour over the saffron water, then add the rest of the rice.
- Using a wooden spoon, place 5-6 holes in the rice almost to the bottom, then break up the butter over the top.
- Leave this on medium heat for 6 minutes before placing a clean tea towel over the top and the lid on that. Leave this on medium heat for another 6 minutes before turning it down low and cooking for 1 hour.
- After the hour, turn the heat back up to medium-high for 5 minutes.
- Remover from heat and let it rest for 5 more minutes before turning out.