When you're in need of some easy comfort food, you can't go past macaroni and cheese. Here's how I make it at home.
Rated 4.3 stars by 23 users, click here to rate this recipe.
When you're in need of some easy comfort food, you can't go past mac and cheese. Here's how I make it at home.
- 500g dried elbow pasta
- 120g unsalted butter
- 70g all-purpose flour
- 1L milk
- 250g medium sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 250g red Leicester cheese, grated
- 225g grated Gruyere cheese, grated
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp English mustard
- 60g panko breadcrumbs
Start by making the cheese sauce. In a med pot over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Once melted, add the flour and whisk. Cook this for 2-3 minutes
- Slowly add the milk while whisking the whole time.
- Once you have a smooth sauce, add 3/4 of the grated cheese and melt it into your sauce on medium heat.
- Once the cheese is melted, season it with salt and pepper and mix in the mustard.
- Cook the pasta to the packet instructions and once cooked, drain well.
- Add the cooked and drained pasta back to the pot and pour over the cheese sauce.
- Mix well and add to an oven-safe dish.
- Sprinkle a handful of panko breadcrumbs over the top, followed by the remaining grated cheese and then another handful of panko.
- Bake and 180°c for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and delicious.