Homemade bagels are easier than you thought - give this recipe a go for your next weekend breakfast.
Rated 4.2 stars by 9 users, click here to rate this recipe.
Homemade bagels are easier than you thought - give this recipe a go for your next weekend breakfast. Serve with smoked salmon and cream cheese.
- 300ml warm water
- 2 tbsp maple
- 7g active dry yeast
- 440g bread flour, plus more for dusting
- 6g salt (plus 10g more for the pot of water)
- Sesame seeds for the top of the bagels
- Cream cheese, red onions, capers and smoked salmon to garnish
In a small bowl, mix together warm water, 1 tbsp maple syrup and yeast and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (you can just use your hands if you don't have a stand mixer) add the flour and salt. Then using the hook attachment, turn onto medium-low heat and slowly pour in the water mixture.
- Knead this for 8-10 minutes on medium or until you have a nice smooth dough.
Turn out onto the bench, fold a couple of times. Dust a mixing bowl with flour and place the dough in there, cover with a tea towel and rest for 1 hour or until it's doubled in size.
- Place a large pot of water on to boil and season it with salt and the second tbsp of maple.
- Turn the dough out, knead a couple of times to knock the air out and cut into eight even balls.
- Using the palm of your hand, roll each ball as tight as you can get them.
- Push your finger through the centre of the ball and stretch out to make a bagel shape, then straight away, place it into the simmering water.
- Simmer for 1-2 minutes and then flip and simmer for another minute on that side.
- Remove from the water and place straight onto your sesame seeds.
If you're baking them in a normal oven, then place onto an oven tray and into a 220°c oven for 20-25 minutes.
- For a pizza oven, try to have the temp at between 230°c-250°c and place the bagel seed side down on a plank of untreated wood. Then slide the wood into the pizza oven.
- After 3-4 minutes, you can flip the bagels onto the bottom side and continue to cook for 15-20 minutes.